Re: Digital photography musings

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 11/02/01-03:01:37 PM Z

On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Nick Makris wrote:

> The issue of bad work has been with us since the beginning...

By official count, we had 4,327,420 photographs of kittens in teacups and
kittens with milk bottles from May 1930, to May 1950. What should we trash
-- teacups, kittens, or photography?

> True, the digital phenomena has brought about a plague of would be
> artists/photographers. I for one find it a godsend - earlier in my career
> it was not uncommon for me to spend 2 weeks making a montage for some

Not to mention that popularity makes it possible for some of us to acquire
equipment above our station in life. I paid $199 for my Epson 1160 because
it was mass marketed & used it to make negs for my best gum print to date
(as is due to be published globally, if not galactically).

> I characterize the capabilities of digital manipulation as wonderful tool
> and expedient.

Exactly. Brains not included.

Judy