cyanotypes&japanese papers

From: henk thijs (henk.thijs@hetnet.nl)
Date: 11/07/01-07:12:03 AM Z

Judy said:
Here's a note to help fill in the dread silence:

..maybe another one...

I made several tests with japanese paper and what I missed in the
discussions a time ago, is the huge amount of solution you need to
coat this papers; to be honest it is a mess if you are used to papers
like Fabriano, and above all the Hahnemuehle , but that is another
story.
I tried Hosha, Mochizuki, Kawashi, Migeishi in white and naturel.
Coating is a bit tricky, the solution soaks immediately into the
fibers, and in the end front- and backside is coated as well as the
paper beneath. It is important to work very quick with lots of
solution in the foam brush; one cannot coat too vigorous, paper is a
bit 'heary' and will produce rubbish on the surface. If the paper is
not in the paperbasket after that stage, the next thing is fishing
the wet thing out of the water after rinsing. The only advantage I
detected with this papers was the possibilty of fixing them onto
silver or gold foil; the blue color changes accordingly.
Henk

--
H e n k  T h i j s     The  Netherlands
Web-site photographers' collective F68: