Re: cyanotypes&japanese papers

From: Eric S. Theise (mataro@cyberwerks.com)
Date: 11/07/01-12:02:11 PM Z

henk thijs writes:
> I made several tests with japanese paper and what I missed in the
> discussions a time ago, is the huge amount of solution you need to
> coat this papers; to be honest it is a mess if you are used to papers
> like Fabriano, and above all the Hahnemuehle , but that is another
> story.
> I tried Hosha, Mochizuki, Kawashi, Migeishi in white and naturel.

Interesting. I think I'm the one who started this thread, and since
then, I've been using Japanese masa paper. A bit thick by Japanese
paper standards, but it is very smooth on one side and it seems to take
the coating better than the Strathmore Artist Drawing. I don't have
enough experience to judge whether it takes a 'huge' amount of solution.
The paper seems easy to work with, and air dries very nicely.

My images are 12" square, and I'm using paper cut down to about 15" x
14". The negative to the image I'm using is long lost, and so I'm
working from a scan that's been inverted in Photoshop and printed onto
paper using an Epson 7500. I'm exposing for an hour and a half in
daylight using a contact printing frame.

And I've got my wheat starch cooking up in the double boiler as I type
this (chine colle' coming right up).

--Eric