Re: toning cyanotypes

From: K (kerickso@acs.ryerson.ca)
Date: 11/07/01-11:04:24 AM Z

I just did this last night, and from what I saw, the blotching may occur in
the carbonate bath, where the print (especially smaller prints) tend to
float to the top. I don't know if floating is really the problem, but either
way, I could see the heavier blue densities in the border take much longer
to get to the same red-brown colour as the image area. When i agitated the
image in the tray, all of the blotching for me disappeared.
Incidentally, I'm wondering if the presence of dichromate in the cyanotype
mixture affects the toning. I use a straight a+b solution for all my
cyanotypes (ferricyanide and ferric ammonium citrate only). I had difficulty
getting brown tones (most were purple to deep red), and when I did, it was
with a lot of paper stain (at first); brown-black tones seem untenable
(though i still have a lot of experimenting to do). Most of the action, I
found, took place in the carbonate solution, and my best results were from a
long 1st bath in tannic acid, a carbonate bath of the minimal length to
convert the cyano from its blue colour (about 2 to 3 minutes otherwise the
prints go purple), and a final VERY short (10 to 20 second) dip in the
tannic acid bath, with 30 to 60 seconds wash in clean water between each
step, and a minute or so final wash. I'll be trying it again, so maybe i'll
provide something more conclusive in addition to these results next time.

Quick question: does anyone know if nitric acid can be had outside a
chemical supply store? Maybe a pharmacy? A greenhouse?

Thanks,
Kris