toning cyanotypes; fixing Van Dyke prints; POP toner

From: shannon stoney (sstoney@pdq.net)
Date: 11/13/01-07:57:05 PM Z

Thanks to Judy for the tips on toning cyanotypes. I will try some of
those suggestions next time I do cyanotypes.

   Right now I am experimenting with Van Dyke prints. I have some
directions that say to use three changes of fixing bath per 8x10
print. I assume you can reuse the fixing baths, like with any other
silver process? Or does Van Dyke exhaust fixer quicker than other
processes? Another set of directions just said to "fix normally,"
whatever that means. For POP I was using two fixing baths, say A and
B, five minutes in each. After a lot of prints, I discarded A and
replaced it with B and made a fresh bath for tray B. Would a similar
system work for Van Dyke prints, or do you really need three fixing
baths?

I really liked my POP prints but decided that it was too expensive to
use the gold toner all the time. One problem was, it seems that when
you start a new printing session you have to mix up a new batch of
toner, rather than continuing to replenish the old batch, as you do
during a printing session. I wonder why this is.

   Does anybody else have a less expensive favorite toner for POP?

--shannon