RE: Pictorico Again was large ink-jet printers

From: John Campbell (tojohn@texas.net)
Date: 11/09/01-02:46:37 PM Z

Nick, et al,

As I write this I am currently printing my eighth 11x14 negative of the day
on Pictorico OHP Transparency film using Piezeogrphy BW inks in an Epson
3000. As each "digineg" comes off the printer, I let it dry for 2 or 3
minutes, then push-pin it onto a black foam board and take it outside for 2
good coats of Krylon. After coating each negative, I bring the foamboard
back inside and stack it on top of previously treated negatives, still
pinned to individual sheets of foam board-the push-pins serve as separators
between the negatives on their foam boards, if you get the idea.

So far, so good. I do get some microbanding, but this has not proven fatal
for my contact prints onto Centennial POP. Interestingly enough, I get no
signs of banding in the black border that I run around each negative (I do
this with PhotoShop canvas size function, and then fill with black, rather
than fit an external boarder over the negative in my printing frame.). Next
week I'll be running larger negs in the same process for printing on hand
coated paper (Pt/Pd).

I find the Pictorico product to be the best I've come across to date. In my
early trials of the stock, I found a very minor glitch in every sheet of
81/2 x 11 Pictorico OHP out of two packs from the same lot number. Chip
Pryor overnight expressed two new packs from a different lot and they were
fine. The prints made from these are quite good-I have to really strain to
find any evidence of banding in the prints.

Other factors: I'm using Genuine Fractals to go from 35mm scans at 2700 dpi
up to 11x14 at 700 dpi.
I'm printing in a custom built light box with eight 24inch 20 watt Damar UV
tubes (F20T12BLRS) which are about 3 inches from the print surface. Let's
see. . . . what else. . . Oh, and I drink several cups of good coffee before
I start printing. After 5:00 p.m. I substitute scotch for the coffee.

I think that's about all I know.

Regards!
-JWC