Re: Zimmerman's gum process

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 11/10/01-01:28:50 PM Z

Dave wrote:

><< e. gum printers are by nature incapable of carrying out
> meaningful sensitometric testing,
>
>There might be some truth in it, but the problem might not be the printers
>but the process. The main issue is that gum printing is a direct (non
>transfer) process, so the speed and contrast depends on the thickness of the
>coating. Because of human inaccuracy, this thickness on each sheet of paper
>can be different even with the same emulsion mix.

I perfectly understand that the problem is the process not the
printers (well, at least in theory), but you make the point much
better than I.

Lord forbid that anyone would think that my message intended to
insult gum printers as a group. Far from it, after all, some of my
best friends are gum printers!

Sandy King