Re:Tonal range in gum printing

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 11/12/01-06:07:26 AM Z

Actually this is quite a useful exercise, looking at my work in terms of
its tonal range over time, comparing what I'm printing now to what I was
printing several years ago. Now I really do seem to prefer prints that
lack "punch;" my current prints are very, very subtle and deliberately
printed high in tone. Unfortunately I don't have many scans or slides of
my work of the last two years, as because of health problems I'm always
rushing it out the door at the last minute, but I do have scans of two
of the prints I delivered for shows that opened last weekend, that are
typical of my current work. In one of these prints, the darkest tone is
122, in the other, the darkest is 169 (on a 0-255 scale where darkest
black would be 0). This latter print looks wonderful hanging in the
gallery; it looks as if it could float right out of the frame. I knew
my work had been changing but it took these histograms to see how much
it has changed.

The point, if there was a point, is that gum allows for a total range of
expression, from dark and dramatic to light and subtle, which is one of
the many things I love about gum. Happy printing all,
kt