Re: Digital Neg media survey

From: Darryl Baird (dbaird@umflint.edu)
Date: 11/13/01-09:09:03 AM Z

Nick,

I posted some info a while back, but haven't had any real quality time
to pursue the tests. I found a film designed for sandblasting templates.
It claims to be waterproof and capable of a good D-max (up to 4.6),
output using inkjet 600 dpi images. It comes in sheets starting with
8.5X11 (10 sheets - 17.50) up to 11X17 and rolls up 60" X 66' ($667.00).
It sounds very promising, but not dirt cheap.

I purchased a small pack and ran a couple of sheets through my 1520
Epson, using regular Inkjet Mall ink. I produced two negatives one used
the spectral approach by Burkholder (neg #1) and the other a regular
negative (neg #2) output to the film. The spectral neg looked too thin
and wasn't very good -- very flat prints. The regular neg. appeared a
purplish color and produced better prints on both Cyanotype (Ware
formula) and Argyrotype emulsions. Both were too flat for my taste, but
I didn't continue with curve adjustments, mixing contrastier formulas,
etc.... no time. The initial results were promising, better than my
first enlarged negatives from graphic arts film!

Peter Norman is a technical rep at PhotoAbrasives and wanted me to
follow up with results. I still owe him a phone call.

go to:
http://www.photobrasivesystems.com/accuart.html

I could send a piece of this film to Ed ? Ed, do you like being taken
for granted?

Anyway, good luck. Onward through the (digital) fog.

--
Darryl Baird