Digital Neg media survey

From: Nick Makris (nick@mcn.org)
Date: 11/13/01-08:13:01 AM Z

I heard from Ed Stander regarding the suitability of Epson Backlight film as
a negative media for the PT/PD process and probably most any other UV light
source process. Many thanks to Ed. His reply follows:

>I just checked your film on my UV system with a UV meter. The film is an
>excellent blocker of UV light - even better than my UV protective glasses.
>At maximum illumination (5000 watts at 20 inches), the meter measured
>next-to nothing. I think you had better find another film.

There is more to this story than I can relate at the moment - I'm just not
prepared to discuss it now. However, it does seem clear that I should
replace this media no matter how successful I have been with it in the past.

I would like to hear from any/everyone who is successfully making digital
negs for any UV process. One recent poster alluded to a material but never
answered the followup questioning specifics. The following questions
provide a template for discussion/survey. I would be very pleased to hear
from you.

TIA

Nick

What material/media do you use?

Where do you purchase this material?

What are the minimum/maximum sizes/prices of the material that you are aware
of?

Using this material, which process(es) do you successfully make negatives
for?

What printer do you use?

What ink do you use in your printer?

Briefly describe your workflow (Photoshop/Epson Driver/Piezography/minimal
resolution/paper settings/etc.):