Spectral Sensitivity of Pt/Pd

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 11/13/01-04:45:17 PM Z

Jeffrey Mathias wrote:

>Do keep in mind that a Pt/Pd coating is sensitive to more than just UV
>light. I have not found any information on the spectral sensitivity of
>Pt/Pd coatings. Nor have I found any qualitative information as to how
>the final print may be influenced by various spectrums of light used for
>exposure. This information is of interest, but I do not have the
>equipment for such studies at this time.
>
>--
>Jeffrey D. Mathias
>http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/

I am really surprised that there is no information on the spectral
sensitivity of Pt/Pd coatings. Like you I have been unable to find
anything on the subject.

There appear to be no doubt but that your observation, i.e. that
Pt/Pd coatings are sensitive to more than just UV light, is correct.
Quite a number of platinum printers have reported faster printing
times with Super Actinic tubes than BL, and the SA, which peaks at
420nm, emits virtually nothing below 380nm, and very little in the UV
range, generally considered to be at 400nm and below.

However, this may be true also for other processes. I have strong
supporting evidence from recent tests that several other processes
(carbon, gum, cyanotype, vandyke and traditional kallitype) have
significant sensitivity to light in the near ultraviolet and violet
between 400 and 475 nanometers. I find this interesting because it
suggests there is a band of considerable sensitivity for these
processes of over 125 nanometers.

Sandy King