Re: Toning with TEA????

From: Don Bryant (dsbryant@telocity.com)
Date: 11/13/01-10:32:45 PM Z

> Yes, look at the work by Tom Baril.... he was the printer for
> Mapplethorpe..... a lot of his work is toned in tea.... his botanicals are
> beautiful....
>
> I'm not sure if he uses bags or loose tea.... hehehhee

It is interesting to note that Baril printed for Mapplethrope and helped
create a unique set of prints for him, and he uses the some of the same
techniques for his own work. However he has Stan Klimek print his gum over
platinums which are quite beautiful.

But as for the tea I vaguely remember reading some where that he uses loose
black tea leaves and also selenium tones the work to get the color and split
tones he wants. As for the paper that he prints on I don't have a clue but
it does account for the final look and color of the print. Perhaps our
toning guru Jonathan Bailey can comment.

Don Bryant