Re: enlarged positives with coldhead

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 11/14/01-06:53:08 AM Z

mark dungan wrote:
> i am using Arisatone Continuous-Tone film to make enlarged
> positives for photogravure. My problem is that with my coldhead
> enlarger I am having problems with exceedingly long development
> times and the positives are still flatter than I'd like. ...

Forget the filter.
Check out the chapter in my guide (from link below) on building
negatives (analog). Two things that will help you arrive at a solution
are adding masks (usually made on a film like kodalith, but could be
longer range) and finding a film with a longer tonal range (such as the
now out of production Kodak Commercial film or another similar). If you
don't mind working in total darkness, try a film like Kodak Tri-X. Also
use a developer like HC-110 that can develope the range.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/