Negative Making

mmorrill2@qwest.net
Date: 11/14/01-10:38:35 AM Z

Hi

I have been lurking for years, since 1994, and I
finally, can offer something again, so here goes.

I have been using Arista, APHS coated in Japan.
And I have determined that the film has a somewhat
short contrast range. It is a line/halftone film but
I have obtained some great negatives using it.

Long development times can result in flat negatives
because of the evening affect of developers that have
to little energy. I think that this can also happen
with to much exposure.

I make low contrast positives through contact exposure
and project them on to the Arista film, I Use, thus
utilizing the film's inherent contrast, expanding the
image range to the extent that the film can record.
There is not a lot of latitude.

Now, looking back at what I have just said, I guess some
one may question how this relates to making the positives
for Gravure using continuous tone film.

The principal is the same just reverse. A stronger
developer or dilution should obtain better contrast.
Less exposure is also helpful in producing more
contrast.

My rule for soft negatives is over expose and under
develop, although both are relative terms. The Arista
film I use is responsive to exposure changes.

In positive making ,using negative film, I expose
for the highlights and develop for the shadows.

---
Exposure changes are probably necessary. Essentially
in both negative and positive making, using Black
and white negative film, the principals are the
same between films. Negative making, is a painstaking
way of life. I would be interested in hearing from
any one else is using a line film for continuous
tone negatives. To determine exposure for negative
to positive expose for the highlights.
---

Mark A. Morrill P.S. I have used a polarizing filter on the enlarger lens to get a little more contrast.

mark dungan wrote: > > Hi Everyone, > > i am using Arisatone Continuous-Tone film to make enlarged positives for > photogravure. My problem is that with my coldhead enlarger I am having > problems with exceedingly long development times and the positives are still > flatter than I'd like. It has been suggested to me that I add a 50 Yellow > correction filter. Would that work? > > Pinholeman > > _________________________________________________________________ > Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp