Letters from Earth (was UV exposure unit for sale)

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 11/20/01-10:23:40 PM Z

On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, H. C. wrote:

> Although I agree to a point, I think a good deal on a source offered here
> is ok. As long as it does not turn into spam over and over and over.
> There is one member that promotes a magazine on this list that is for
> sale. NO, I am NOT objecting, just thinking.

Oh Bob, that's purely outrageous and shame on you, to hit such a sour note
in the midst of our lovefest, on the eve of the highest secular holiday in
the US, one even atheists can embrace with abandon.

But for the record, every Post-Factory I "sell," I lose a dollar fifty (at
least) since the postage puts me in the hole. I barely break even on cost
to print what is, please note, an official not-for-profit publication,
certified by the great state of New York... Of course my own endless
labor, as well as the labor of contributors, many of whom are, BTW, list
subscribers -- is absolutely, entirely, and gladly free -- to you, too.

Not to mention that, given the vast amount of information I put on this
list, ongoingly for years, with, I might add, a degree of accuracy and
clarity well beyond the norm, and rarely, in case you didn't notice, with
even a sig line for Post-Factory, let alone a plug, you really MUST be in
a stew to have at the ready a petty snipe like that, out of left field.

I myself wouldn't DREAM of citing other "sources" on this list who offer
items "for sale," in the first place because many folks consider that a
service, and indeed it may well be, and in the second place because I know
you're just a misogynistic old fart who simply CANNOT deal with an
authoritative, knowledgeable and forthcoming WOMAN, as you showed in our
very first exchange years ago. So there's no point in *logic*; in cases
like this, logic doesn't apply.

I think, in short, that you owe me AND the rest of the list an apology for
snide, sour, ad feminam and unThanksgiving-like behavior. I will (for the
moment) RESIST the impulse to put a few recent RAVES for Post-Factory on
the list, tho one woman yesterday was almost tearfully grateful for more
information, she said, than she'd gotten from a shelfful of books in 10
years -- a response I'm so accustomed to I sometimes forget to file it.
(But hers was so ardent it caught my attention.) I will say however, that
when I do mention P-F, it's almost always a reference to further
information on a topic under discussion. If you can't tolerate that,
perhaps you should delete my posts before opening. You never know what
else might crop up to grind your kishkes.

However, on the bright side, I DO have a wonderful item for sale. Stay
tuned ....

And meanwhile, happy thanksgiving to those who observe & deserve. For our
dinner I'm going to read a passage from Mark Twain's "Letters from Earth,"
to my mind one of the great works of literature, on a par with Voltaire,
Emerson, Swift -- or giant of your choice. My thanks are for living in a
country where I can legally read such sacrilege, in paperback for $12.95,
and for having, in all ignorance, stumbled upon it.

Judy