RE: New York Skyline

From: Nick Frazier (giganerd@mindspring.com)
Date: 11/24/01-01:29:07 AM Z

I realize this is getting off topic but I actually have a little to add for
once -
I was shooting pics the other day in a strip mall parking lot. I was in a
deserted corner of the lot where there were no cars and no thru traffic,
shooting pics of the trees and shopping carts in the corner. From the corner
of my eye I saw someone slowly walk up to me. 'Excuse me. My manager wants
to know what you are doing' she said. I explained I was merely an amateur
'art photographer' taking pictures of the trees. She said 'Well a couple of
customers were asking'.

I wasn't asked to leave, but I was made to feel unwelcome. I have been asked
to stop shooting on other occasions at other locations. It seems people are
just plain threatened by the presence of a camera. I suppose it's within
property owners' rights to set rules about behavior on said property, but it
doesn't bode well for us photographers who are simply attempting to exercise
our right (or more properly, desire) of free expression for the benefit of
ourselves and our community.