Re: Dense or Density

From: clay (wcharmon@wt.net)
Date: 11/26/01-07:20:14 AM Z

Carl:

Yes, I've been advised that as well. I just got a new 500 ml bottle of
Rollo from B&S and plan to use that this week instead of the 5 month old
bottle I had previously. Is the thought that the developer oxidizes with age
and acts in a 'pile-on' fashion when combined with the natural oxidation
that occurs with any rotary based method?

Thanks for the tip. I'll let you know if that solves the particular problem
with ABC+. I do recommend that you try the Pyrocat. With my materials (Tmax
400) it has a great feature - different development times (5-22 minutes)
give identical shadow contrasts - pretty high - with the curves literally on
top of one another, but at about Zone V, they split, with the shorter times
giving a really nice bend in the H&D curve, but then continuing on in a
straight line. In other words, it appears to be a great highlight
compensating developer. It doesn't shoulder, just changes gradient. I
haven't seen that with any other developers.

Thanks,

Clay