Dense or Density

From: Jeff Buckels (jeffbuck@swcp.com)
Date: 11/25/01-12:04:02 PM Z

Hello from Albuquerque NM. This is my first posting to this fine
list....

I've started doing platinum/palladium. Have done two sessions in my
newly up and running home rig. I'm excited by the results I'm getting
but am plagued by preposterously long exposures. Here's what I do: I'm
shooting FP4+ (5x7 and 8x10) @ EI 64, erring on the side of
over-exposure. Nothing fancy as to reading; for the time being, to keep
it simple, I'm just doing split readings (mostly between the darkest and
lightest readings on the palm of my hand), leaving any particular
contrast control to the printing stage. I'm developing the film in PMK
for 12 minutes at 70F. All exposures, regardless. The printing is on
Platine. I've done a couple prints with pure palladium, a couple with
about 55/45 Pt to Pd, adding some contrast on one occasion with a small
amount of sodium dichromate in the pot/oxalate developer. The color and
contrast need tweaking but I'm happy with both. The exposure times are
an outrage: From 20 to 80 minutes. I can live with 20, and I
understand there's only 2 stops difference between that and 80, but most
the exposures are over 50. The light source is a new "oven" from
Edwards, which I feel is working correctly. Can anyone tell me if
anything jumps out of the above procedure as the likely repeat cause of
these pokey exposures?? I'd sure like to stick with Pyro and know that
that is the principal culprit. But, you know, if I could just get to
15-20 minute exposures, I'd be satisfied.... Thank you.

jeff buckels (albuquerque nm)