Not just NP3 (the only really good attachments are human)

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 11/29/01-01:23:38 AM Z

To one and all,

I've been receiving a bunch of viruses with plausible subject lines, such
as one yesterday: "Re: safelight was Re: duplication film inquiry," which
I assume was a virus, consisting as it did of only attachments, no plain
text.

Today SEVERALothers came in, the latest with subject line "You haven't
expired" which I'd used to a subscriber (and it was his return address)
who'd inquired.

In other words, there is a virus now which goes into someone's mail
program & instead of sending the mail with an easily recognizable code,
like <exe> or whatever, lifts a line from YOUR message to them.

Since these are more likely to catch someone unawares than the usual, I
mention the point for those who actually open attachments and have the
kind of mail program in which they like to breed.

And a reminder to those who STILL send attachments uninvited and
unannounced: The rule on this list is no HTML, no attachments. One
hallmark of this virus so far is that there's no text... just the 3 parts
to "open" (former virii nearly always started "I'd like your opinion on
this). I expect greater sophistication soon... tho obviously this one is
pretty successful.

I understand also that this or other new virus can insert a program in
your computer that can read your key touch, and thus learn your
password(s) and credit card numbers. Nor can the anti-virus programs keep
ahead of them... unless they're same-day service. I say again, as I have
before -- Pine doesn't get viruses. Yet.

regards so far,

Judy