Re: Experience with 20X24 format

From: Burkhardt Kiegeland (burkhardt@einsundsein.org)
Date: 11/29/01-01:37:39 AM Z

Neal,

up to now I made about 150 Portraits using my 20x24" camera. Preferred lens
is an Apo Artar 30", my film is Ilford HP5+ as well as Bergger BPF 200. Most
of the sheets are tray developed in PMK. Usually I process 4-5 sheets at
one run, emulsion side down (!). I must say that I never met problems with
streakes except in the first beginnings when a batch of film was faulty.

I practiced rotation development too finding however, that there is a sheet
of plastic needed covering the inside of the drum to avoid streaks caused by
the rigdes in the big Jobo print drums. I wrote an text on this subject
which was published at the US website of Jobo at that time. It shows too the
cuttings I made to fix the film sheets on the plastik sheet.

Later I went back to tray development because it is far less time consuming
to handle a couple of sheets at a time in the tray than rotation developing
the sheets one by one in the big drum by. My 20x24" developing tray, made by
Deville in France, has no ridges but is »bulged« providing a very even flow
of the liquid.

Burkhardt Kiegeland