Streaking with rotary processing in print drums

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 11/29/01-04:58:57 PM Z

Carl Weese has also experienced problems with streaking from the ribs
in print drums. On the other hand, I have never seen this with any of
the film/developer combinations I have used, which includes HP5+,
FP4+, TRI-X and BP in D-76, ABC+ and Pyrocat-HD. On the other hand,
I have experienced serious problems on several occasions with
smooth-walled tubes.

What could be the cause of the problem? Assuming that one compensates
for singular plane rotation (which can cause streaks from bromide
drag) by occasional vertical agitation, what could be the cause of
the problem? Since there is a good flow of chemicals over the bank of
the film, the streaks should not be from remnants of the
anti-halation backing, right?. This is the nature of the problem
stated by JOBO when processing film in print drums. On the other
hand, could it be a problem of the developer picking up speed when it
flows over the area of the ribs? If so, this might be related to
speed of rotation. Which leads me to ask of those folks who have
experienced streaks when processing film in drums, what was the
rotation pattern, and if you used a motor base, which one and how
many rpm does it do?

Sandy