Badtransb - E-mail virus

From: Don Bryant (dsbryant@telocity.com)
Date: 11/30/01-08:13:12 AM Z

To all,
> Gordon J. Holtslander writes:
> > I don't know if there is a patch for preventing outlook from sending
this
> > virus - if one does a search for badtransb at microsoft one gets a sorry
> > no results returned.
> >
> > I guess Microsoft knows nothing about this.
>
> See the page at

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/
virus/badtrans.asp

> and install the MS01-020 patch mentioned on that page if you haven't
> already done so.
>
> --Eric

The threat of this virus is real as I just intercepted it with my Norton
Anti-virus e-mail scanner. Something is awry here on this list, in other
words one or more individual's e-mail utility is now infected with this
virus, perhaps we should call it a plague. If you are using Outlook or
Outlook Express you definitely owe it to yourself and to the people in your
address book to take steps to scan your e-mail with a virus detector. You
can get one at Trendmicro.com, the McCaffe site or Symantec.com. There also
used to be a Finnish antiviral product as well that I can't remember the
name of that is available for downloading, perhaps it is still available.

As a pre-caution Norton Anti-viral e-mail protection scans out going e-mail
to help trap and prevent retransmission to other individuals, so if you have
that option with your e-mail anti-virus software, use it.

Also it doesn't hurt to use a firewall product such as Zone Alarm. It can
detect other mischief that is just as insidious as an e-mail virus and it is
very cheap. If you are using a cable modem or a DSL connection, investment
in a router that provides a hardware firewall is also recommended.

And as a reminder, Elm and Oak are also good e-mail programs to use instead
of Pine.

Just my two cents worth this morning,

Don Bryant