Re: travel

From: Dave Rose (photo@wir.net)
Date: 11/30/01-09:25:26 PM Z

Greetings from Big Wonderful Wyoming,

It does get cold here.... very cold! I've taken pictures in weather down to
minus 20 degrees F. The threat of frostbite is more of a worry than any
potential damage to camera gear.

The only time that "fogging up" during very cold (snowing, below freezing)
weather will be a problem is when returning from the field (very cold
conditions) to a warm house/motel room or the interior of a heated vehicle.
When you do move your camera gear from cold to warm areas, allow the
equipment to warm up slowly. I've never experienced moisture damage to my
35mm or 4x5 equipment... I just make sure it dries off quickly.

The biggest problem is during cold (but not below freezing) weather when
it's raining and very humid. The only way to clear the lens during such
conditions is to wipe it with a soft cloth and/or blow it with air
immediately prior to exposure. I've taken many photos under such horrible
conditions with my 4x5. It's miserable, cold and wet, but the results can
be some incredible landscape photos. My darkcloth is rubberized black
fabric. The rubber-faced side is waterproof, so it serves as an effective
shield to protect the camera from rain.

Best regards,
Dave Rose
Cactus Cowboy