Re: mounting Pt/Pd prints?

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 12/01/01-12:50:22 AM Z

At 11:23 PM 11/30/2001 -0500, you wrote:

>On Fri, 30 Nov 2001 PMpainter@aol.com wrote:
>
>> Dry mounting would prbably not be suggested since this method is not at all
>> archival. Since pt/pd prints are highly archival it would kind of
destroy the

>Hi Paul....
>
>Would you give reference, citation, whatever on the "not archival"
>for dry mounting? My understanding and experience is that it's OK... not
>perfect pure but with proper handling & materials not bad either. It's
>also been noted that it can make a framed print MORE archival, since it's
>a barrier at the back.
>
>What did come to mind however, is that heat often changes the tone of an
>iron process, so that might be what they had in mind, either or also.
>
>Judy

 As far as I've been able to find out in researching archival processing
for conventional silver-gelatin prints dry mounting is very archival in the
sense that it does not attack the image or support. However, it seems to be
frowned upon by galleries because the print and mat are hard to separate.
In fact, there are now some dry mounting tissues which do allow removal of
the print fairly easily.
  I don't know if this applies to prints made by alternative methods on
thin or unsized paper. Its possible the dry mounting adhesive might migrate
through some kinds of paper. It doesn't seem to do this to photographic
paper but that is heavily sized with either gelatin or plastic.
  There is cloth tape made for archival mounting of both photos and
documents. Both the tape and adhesive are supposed to be neutral pH and
free of anything which attacks paper or photo images. Anything can be
mounted by making "hinges" out of this stuff. Again, the adhesive may bleed
through some paper. Photo corners are non adhesive and might work where
adhesive is not desired.

>> purpose of the print. Blue masking tape is also a non archival method as
the
>> color may leach into the paper and ruin a print. There are achival tapes
>> available that can be used on your prints. The traditional method is to
make
>> hinges out of the tape and apply one side to the back of your print and the
>> other to the 100% rag backing board. then use the same method to hang on
the
>> 100% rag matt.
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> Paul Marek