Re: pigments and more

From: lva (lva@pamho.net)
Date: 10/03/01-03:38:26 AM Z

> also think of Man Ray who said (now maybe someone has the exact
> quote?) to make art you have to have absolute contempt for your
> materials, or words to that effect. I know that if I get the least bit
> precious about a paint or a paper, or a "beautiful" scene for that
> matter, the print usually sucks.

Good point, Judy. I'm sure that's valid for Man Ray and many modern
painters. But there's also the other kind of artist. Van Gogh wrote
passionate letters about certain pigments to his brother and urged him
to send some. Rembrandt had his pigments carefully ground by assistants.
I don't think these guys had contempt for their materials. Or?
> > I'd like to find a way to make Green Earth pigments
> > darker.
>
> Mix in a little burnt umber. Mayer, incidentally, claims that a mix of
> pigment is always livelier than one alone.

That's interesting. Who is Mayer?

Brahma