Re: cross processing

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 10/03/01-08:36:27 PM Z

Wendy,
     Here ya go:
     As far as answering your questions specifically, yes--low contrast;
flash fill would be fine but blown out flash may be too contrasty. Colors
from slide to neg are just "souped up" more than altered dramatically. No
orange mask, of course, so color balancing in an enlarger will not require
as much yellow and red filtration to deal with the orange mask. But
basically, just go ahead and shoot what you want and see the results. You
have a bit more leeway, of course, going from slide to neg, with exposure
than with traditional slide film which has little latitude for error.
Chris

Cross-Processing

Cross-processing is taking color negative film and processing it in E-6
(slide/transparency) chemistry or taking slide/transparency film and
processing it in C-41 (color negative) chemistry. Both crossovers produce
bizarre colors.
     If slide film is processed in C-41 to produce negatives, the resulting
print will have strongly saturated color and very high contrast, often
leading to blown out highlights--bright areas that appear totally white,
with no detail. Thus, shooting lower contrast scenes will work well. With
negative films cross-processed to make slides/transparencies, you'll get the
built-in mask's characteristic reddish-orange cast (showing up most strongly
in highlight areas and varying in color depending on the type of film used)
and often a bluish cast in darker areas, a telltale sign of cross-processing
in both methods.
     To cross-process slide film, expose it at the manufacturer's
recommended speed (or one stop slower). Then process the film in C-41
chemistry using the standard times. Color gets more saturated, grain
increases, and contrast increases, yet the overall color balance of the
scene should remain the same as you saw it. It does not create false colors
as with color infrared film, but it enhances what is already there. When
printing, you may have to add yellow and magenta in the color head to
compensate for the lack of mask.
     To cross-process negative film, overexpose it by 1-2 stops and push
process in E-6 chemistry 1-1 1/2 stops, because cross-processing negative
film to slides tends to cause a loss of speed. Bracket your shots to
experiment with this: shoot one shot at the recommended exposure, and then
overexpose 1 and then 2 stops. Then push process the roll one stop at
least. One of the photographers used Kodak VHC and push processed it +5
stops and it looked great--pale peach and high contrast. You could also
underexpose one frame one stop just for testing purposes, and that way at
least one of the slides will be pretty close to normally exposed and
developed (exposure -1, developed N+1).
     Photograph things that have a wide range of bright colors.
Cross-processing will alter some and leave others unaffected. Experiment
with different films; Kodak Gold has a 12-exposure roll so that you could
shoot several rolls and push at +1, +3, and +5, for instance. It is
impossible to predict the effects because they will widely differ from one
film to another.
     Here are some ideas to try from the internet: going from negative film
to slides: XP2 rated at 100 pushed 1-2 stops in E6, Kodak CN-400 rated at
250 pushed 1 stop in E6, Kodak 160 NC and 160 VC rated at 100 pushed 1-2
stops in E6, Kodak Ektar 25 (try and find some) rated at 25, processed
normal E6 (best suited for low contrast scenes). Going from slide film to
negative, Kodak 64 T rated at ISO 400, shot in daylight with no filter, will
give you wonderful prints with vibrant colors.
Chris
(this is a page I wrote on cross processing for my workbook--I think I
previously posted it to the list but maybe not)