questions about toning cyanotypes

From: shannon stoney (sstoney@pdq.net)
Date: 10/06/01-05:24:14 PM Z

Thanks to people who made suggestions about finding an imagesetter.
One person here told me, also, not to worry about whether it was
stochastic dot or half-tone setting; just to go with what was
available and it would look fine. I wonder if this is true.

Today I toned some cyanotypes, using a two tray method outlined in
the Post Factory issue dealing with cyanotypes. I used tannic acid
in the first tray and sodium carbonate in the second tray. One
problem I had was that some of the prints ended up with sort of brown
splotches on them. I wonder if this is because I should have mixed up
the tannic acid a bit ahead of time to make sure it was all
completely dissolved? And also maybe the sodium carbonate? I
stirred pretty well, but maybe I should have let it set fifteen
minutes or so before using.

Also, there was a lot of variation in how the prints toned. Some got
very brown rather rapidly, and others just turned a slightly more
muted shade of blue. I wonder why?

--shannon