Re: Carbon double transfer

From: Sandy King (sanking@CLEMSON.EDU)
Date: 10/08/01-11:19:02 AM Z

Hi Witho,

>Hello Sandy,
>
>I will try your method later on. Now some information on the three points.
>
>1 I pour the gelatin mix (my King I/just sumi ink etc.formula, as described
>in your tutorial )on plexi. I wait a few minutes and than have a wet paper
>(squeezed) over it. Let it dry in my darkroom. The result is a mirror like
>black surface.

Any possibility that the wave pattern may be created on the back side
of the tissue at this time.

>2 I sensitize in a 3% ammoniumdichromate solution, immersing the tissue for
>3 minutes and hanging it to dry overnight in a dark room. (All done under
>safe light conditions).

This should not create a problem, but I would advise squeeging out
the excesss tissue on a piece of plexi and allowing it to dry face
down on the plexi.

>3 Alcohol dip is from Pollmeier as described in issue 2 or 3 in
>Post-factory. It is an after squeeze pre development treatment to facilitate
>stripping the tissue from the plexi.

This should not be necessary if you are using a plastic compatible
with the tissue, ie, one that will hold the image during warm water
development and release it later to the final support. I can not
imagine how it would cause the wave pattern. Alcohol can harden
gelatin and might be causing the wave pattern but I tend to doubt it.

I will wait to comment further after seeing a more detailed
description of your working method.

Sandy King