Re: ground glass

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 10/08/01-05:18:47 PM Z

Congratulations on the gift of the 5X7. I work with a lot of formats
but if I had to give them all up but one I would keep the 5X7.

Yes, you can buy frosted glass that will serve you ok for the ground
glass. Most frosted glass is sand-blasted and you may find it a bit
coarse. Some frosted glass is acid-etched and will give a finer
image. Perhaps the best solution is to buy a plain sheet of glass of
the size you need for the ground glass and etch it with a product
called Armour-Etch. You can find it at many hobby stores.

To etch the glass, first tape off the back edges (so the etching
material will not reach there), then apply a very thick coating of
Armour Etch. Apply on the horizontal , then the vertical. Let the
etching continue for about 5-10 minutes, then remove the Armour-Etch
material as quickly and as evenly as possible. I spray it with water
and scrub at the same time with a brush. Repeat the process if the
glass shows uneven etching.

BTW, you can also etch sand-blasted glass, which in some ways is
easier than starting with plain glass.

Good luck with your new/old camera/treasure.

Sandy King