Re: graduate schools in photography; artists in academia

From: Darryl Baird (dbaird@umflint.edu)
Date: 10/17/01-10:21:10 PM Z

Hi Jeremiah,

I think it varies from school to school, but many academic programs
allow or require a minor.

Here we allow minors in art, but (in my opinion) isn't sufficient for
anyone wanting any type of a career as an artist. Our BFA program, which
I like in concept, requires all students to experience a variety of
media and approaches and instructors. We allow for a "concentration" in
a broad category of your choice... ceramics, sculpture, photo, graphic
design, painting, or drawing. Every student takes at least three
semesters of drawing, plus 2D & 3D design, plus four semesters of art
history. Our aim is to create an artist first, then work on a specialty,
thus the eight course concentrations.

I think schools allow people to wander around until they find
themselves, then hopefully, they help direct the next stage in their
career/life path.

-Darryl