Where is the dog in the media, ma?

From: Jack Fulton (jefulton1@home.com)
Date: 10/19/01-07:41:06 AM Z

'there is something happening Mr. Jones . . and, you don't know what it is."
Bob Dylan

To add another vegetable to the stew pot . . or is this discussion on stone
soup?
I've taught since '69 here @ the Art Institute and in the grad program since
the early 70's.
THEN
The student was fairly new to the idea of obtaining an MFA in photography.
We were similar in age and I was the 'gang' leader. We all worked and
shared the produced images. Each of us were excited by the creativity
amongst ourselves and the potential for new directions.

Slowly, as I grew older, and the hippy thing and the Viet Nam war subsided
and Reagan/Bush plopped into power, the realization of teaching became more
critical and the average student to the MFA program knew less about being an
artist but knew more regarding photography.
We started seeing well made portfolios of almost non-content imagery. Though
I overblow my statement, much work was objective/possessive rather than
poetically portrayed.
Our probram expanded to include more art history and even the PM aspects of
theory. Some teachers came in and tore everyone and everything apart with
Post Modernism. Now that much of it is understood better and accepted (it
was very difficult churning the obtuse language to create a more vernacular
comprehension), we have what we consider to be a far more rigorous academic
course for the student to follow.

Also, in fairness to the institutions you may refer to and the
teachers....yes, some are turkeys and some places are dull, yet the
enlivenment of a program is, in my mind, due to the creative energies and
interests of the students.

NOW
Keep in mind that students are 'invited' to participate. For instance, we
may have over 90 portfolios to look through. Out of those, our faculty
(which is four: Linda Connor, myself, Reagan Louie and Henry Wessel) is
aided in our choices by: additional faculty who are adjunct or invited, the
complete graduate class who are given two votes. We may pick about 4 to 6
candidates (5%) but the program needs to take ten to maintain the size and
quality of the program. From past experience it is realized that twenty need
to be invited for an average of 50% attend. NONE of the original 5 chosen
may come and we could end up with the program holding 12 people we did not
relish to as great a degree as those we found held more votes.

Then, the task becomes more focused on teaching. More often than not those
invited rise to the occasion and do well. Another classic example of the
average student is the person who comes in with a portfolio and thereby sets
out to 'experiment' and create something completely different. It is the
rare person who is creatively capable of such an endeavor and they return
(in almost 75% or more of all cases) to their original work and expand it a
bit.

It is my feeling the student ought to come into a program with a strong body
of work and expand upon that. By doing so they will slowly put together a
body that holds variety such as that of a well led life. They will also
refine the raison d'etre for the work as a whole and be able more to define
what it is they are actually doing. Curators et al, in general, like to see
a "body' of work so they can mull it over and choose images THEY feel to be
important. I'd rather have the contemporary photographer do it. However,
there are such examples as Walker Evans not knowing diddly about his work in
"American Photographs' which is fully edited by Lincoln Kerstein.

I am sure some of what I have said may be taken cum grano salis but it is a
scenario not uncommon. The student entering a program, whether at our
institution of @ UNM, Chicago, Pratt, VSA, Seattle, Arizona, wherever should
be prepared to work their butt off making photographs, That is the key . .
to make the photographs and let them be.

Jack Fulton