Re: Digital Proofing of large format negatives

From: Carl Weese (cweese@earthlink.net)
Date: 10/19/01-09:49:48 AM Z

Bob,

The technique is about convenience, not quality reproduction. The goal is
simply to have a decent positive view of the negative without the expense
(time & $) of making a silver proof. A flatbed delivers a much better scan,
but for a 12x20 inch negative you have to scan in sections (dangerous for
the negative) and then splice four sections together for each proof
(dangerous to your sanity).

An experienced photographer can judge the technical quality of a negative
directly. Especially if aided by a densitometer. To know whether or not it's
a good *picture* though, you've got to see it as a positive. This is a
high-speed, low-cost way of seeing positives from new work in order to
decide which pictures deserve serious printing.---Carl

--
        web site with picture galleries
        and workshop information at:

http://home.earthlink.net/~cweese/