Re: Carbon arc exposure unit

From: Gary Beasley (beasleyglb@mindspring.com)
Date: 10/22/01-02:25:29 PM Z

At 12:27 PM 10/22/01 -0700, you wrote:
>I have just come into a carbon arc exposure unit.
>Anyone on the list know anything about them. I am
>thinking of modifying it by puting either a bank of
>flos or a metal halide in it. The whole arc thing just
>seems nasty to me.
>Any suggestions or experiences?
>Sam
>
>_

You're right, they are nasty with a vengeance. But the light is very
powerful. If you have the rods and can vent very well to the outside they
are handy. Otherwise adding another kind of light source means all you
really have now is a reflector, as the power supply for it would probably
be quite useless for anything else. As most of these things were phased out
in favor of pulsed xenon units long ago in the graphic arts field it would
be hard to get a supplier for the rods if you chose to use it as it is. The
metal halide is about as close as you can get to the kind of light these
things put out as in being a point source and high uv content.
What was this unit made for and how old is it?