Re: dextrine

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 10/25/01-07:11:00 PM Z

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Sandy King wrote:

> I don't know the major commercial use of the paper, but our interest
> in it is to serve as a temporary support for transferring images from
> plastic.

Dextrine, from Cassells (1911): known also as British gum... white or
yellowish white powder, soluble in water,....forms viscous or gummy
solution... made by submitting starch paste to action of malt extract...
also made by action of heat or nitric acid on potato starch. It has the
same chemical composition as starch, but its properties are different....
principal use is in the making of mountants. There is a further variety of
a brown color, but this is not used as a mountant. =========

There are old formulas for emulsions using dextrine... I don't remember
what it was for, but years ago I made up some solutions including nitric
acid, sugar and alcohol... I tried with both white and brown, which were
indeed different. I forget which one worked, but other formulas worked
better in either case & I let it drop.

Judy