Re: Reagent or lab grade?

From: Richard Sullivan (richsul@cybermesa.com)
Date: 09/01/01-06:25:03 PM Z

Reagent grade is often only the technical grade that has been tested and
certified. In the past there was a big difference but today in many, if not
most cases, the only difference is in the certification. Modern automated
manufacturing techniques make for better efficiency to make one batch on
one line than to try to make one real good batch and one not so real good
batch.

This is not always true so you have to be careful but if the stuff looks
clean, it is probably on for most printing processes. For film, go for
quality stuff. I used to use Arm and Hammer Washing soda for print
developers, It was sort of brownish in the tray but worked fine.

An interesting bit: Reagent grade must be packed at the source. If a
company buys 100 lbs of reagent grade sodium sulfite and repacks it into 1
lb jars it is no longer reagent and cannot be sold as such unless re-tested
and re-certified. However it is common practice, widely done, to do just this.

As I understand it the testing is done in-house and no one ever really
looks at the results unless there is an audit or an issue arises. It is
more or less based on the honor system until the lawyers get involved.

--Dick Sullivan