Re: Reagent or lab grade?

From: Darryl Baird (dbaird@umflint.edu)
Date: 09/01/01-10:09:07 AM Z

"Jeffrey D. Mathias" wrote:

> I believe the "ultra pure" or "pure" grade would be the purest and most
> expensive. This would likely be overkill for a photographic process.

At Baddley and another (I forget which) company the "pure" grade was the
least expensive, reagent the most expensive, sometimes considerably
more. I'm sticking to reagent for all metals, but some of the lesser
chemicals (by ratio) in the formulas I'll get technical or pure. For
instance, sulfuric acid or potassium iodide can be had for a third less
the cost in technical or lab grade. These are often listed as "for
demonstration or experiment purposes." What could be more experimental?

> I would recommend the "reagent grade" as this will likely pay for itself
> in consistency of results. There are two types of reagent grade
> available. One has an analysis and the other does not.

Is this what "ACS" stands for after the word reagent?

thanks

--
Darryl Baird