Re: Resinotypes and new work added

From: Sandy King (sanking@CLEMSON.EDU)
Date: 09/04/01-07:30:24 AM Z

Alberto Novo wrote:

>On 08/03/01-05:34:40 AM Z Malin Hylen wrote:
>>Dear all,
>>I have recently had a request from a photographer to add his work to
>>http://www.cyanotypes.com. He works in a process called 'Resinotypes' I have
>>never heard of this process before, and the only thing a search on the
>>internet comes up with is that it is a process used mainly in Italy and
>>invented around 1920. Does anyone of you know any more about this process?
>
>No replyes confirms that this process did not spread out of Italy.
>These are some notes on it, also if I never tried to apply them.
>However I personally know a couple of photographers in Italy that
>produced some "resinotypes". The appearance of the prints is
>"earthy".
>
>The features of the resinotypic process, invented by Rodolfo Namias,
>can be found in a book titled "Resinotipia", Progresso Fotografico
>ed., Milano Italy (3rd edition: 1927).

It is not entirely accurate to state that Resinotipia did not spread
out of Italy. In fact, it was fairly well-know in Spain during the
1920s and 1930s, in large measure because of the wide-spread
popularity of Rodolfo Namias' works in Spanish translations. I don't
have on hand a list of the photographers of the period who worked in
"Resinotipia" but there were certainly quite a few, although it never
attained in Spain the popularity of such processes as gum bichromate,
oil and bromoil.

Sandy King