Re: Liquid Light

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 09/07/01-09:21:48 PM Z

Wendy,
     LL can be exposed tacky (meaning a bit wet). Other brands do not
recommend this. I have successfully coated LL and others and had it dry and
exposed it weeks later, so that is also OK. But try LL tacky. Where do you
live?? In MT in the winter/spring, my paper easily dried bone dry in an
hour or so. IF humid where you are, this would not be the case. A heater
in the area would be fine as long as you are not heating the paper I would
think. I mean, you initially heat the emulsion up to about 100-120 degrees,
correct, so if the heater was at a nominal 80, it'd still be just fine. Use
an ordinary paintbrush, anything that spreads--just watch out for foam
brushes because they can leave rows of unpopped bubbles. I got a great
"milk moustache" on this nude I did, that way.
     Ceramics, as well as glass, need cleaning and subbing or the stuff will
slough right off. Sub both with a hardened gelatin coat. Fabric needs no
prep. Method of subbing glass: first, do not clean glass with soap with
this method, as it may leave a film deposit. Clean it with sodium
carbonate--sal soda, washing soda, Arm and Hammer. Let it dry. Then, take
1 teaspoon of Knox gelatin per pint of water, and sprinkle it in cold water
and let it stand for 15 minutes until dissolved. Heat gently on the stove
until melted. Add 10 drops of chrome alum to each ounce (30 cc) of this
solution, and pour the hot solution onto the glass. Allow to dry 4 hours or
overnight.
     Chris