Re: the view from 1.6 miles (thanks Dave!)

From: shannon stoney (sstoney@pdq.net)
Date: 09/16/01-07:29:04 AM Z

Judy--So glad to hear from you. Somehow the descriptions of what
happened from people who live in NYC seem a lot more real, and more
sad even, than what we hear on tv from newspeople.

For more good analysis of what the root causes are behind all this,
see The New Republic online. Below are some links.

--shannon

THIS WEEK IN TNR POLITICS: It Happened Here

THE EDITORS | It Happened Here
"The legacy of September 11, 2001, must be nothing less than a new sense
of what is possible. When those planes flew into those buildings, the
luck of America ran out. And so we must finally allow ourselves to be
sobered out of our sensation of historical and geographical immunity. We
must not let the tremor of what we have seen pass from us. It happened
here...."
http://www.thenewrepublic.com/092401/editorial092401.html

LAWRENCE F. KAPLAN | Above the Law
Lawrence F. Kaplan plots the right way to retaliate.
http://www.thenewrepublic.com/092401/kaplan092401.html

R. JAMES WOOLSEY | Blood Baath
Former CIA director R. James Woolsey on why it might be Saddam.
http://www.thenewrepublic.com/092401/woolsey092401.html

MARTIN PERETZ | Counting
Martin Peretz on America finally understanding how it feels.
http://www.thenewrepublic.com/092401/peretz092401.html

JEFFREY ROSEN | Law and Order
Why limiting freedom won't make us safer.
http://www.thenewrepublic.com/092401/rosen092401.html

DAVID GRANN | Manhattan Dispatch
David Grann finds at ground zero messages from the towers.
http://www.thenewrepublic.com/092401/grann092401.html

TONY JUDT | New York Diarist
Welcome to the future, where anyone can be a soldier.
http://www.thenewrepublic.com/092401/judt092401.html

PAUL BERMAN | Under the Bridge
An Arab street reacts.
http://www.thenewrepublic.com/092401/berman092401.html

YOSSI KLEIN HALEVI | Homecoming
Yossi Klein Halevi visits Jerusalem on the Hudson.
http://www.thenewrepublic.com/092401/halevi092401.html

JEREMY MCCARTER | Over Troubled Waters
Jeremy McCarter's neighborhood wasn't far from ground zero and is
getting closer all the time.
http://www.thenewrepublic.com/online/mccarter091101.html

ELIOT A. COHEN | Fighting Fire
Eliot A. Cohen says make war, not justice.
http://www.thenewrepublic.com/092401/cohen092401.html

PETER BERGEN | Smoke Signals
Peter Bergen says bin Laden appears to have made good on his threat.
http://www.thenewrepublic.com/092401/bergen092401.html

GREGG EASTERBROOK | Air War
Gregg Easterbrook on the holes in our air-traffic safety system.
http://www.thenewrepublic.com/092401/easterbrook092401.html

>From "It Happened Here":

"Senseless," "unimaginable," "crazy," "unfathomable": as the World Trade
Center fell and the Pentagon burned, those were the words that came to
the lips of many Americans, on camera and off camera. We must beware
those words. They have a way of carrying the war against us away from
us, of fortifying our incredulity against the evidence of our eyes, of
shutting down thought when thought is required, of lifting the obscenity
that was visited upon America back out of the realm of possibility. But
the legacy of September 11, 2001, must be nothing less than a new sense
of what is possible. When those planes flew into those buildings, the
luck of America ran out. And so we must finally allow ourselves to be
sobered out of our sensation of historical and geographical immunity. We
must not let the tremor of what we have seen pass from us. It happened
here.

To Subscribe to our other newsletters visit
www.thenewrepublic.com/newsletters.html

To Unsubscribe visit
http://www.thenewrepublic.com/newsletter_unsubscribe.html

Email delivery and ad services provided by DoubleClick's DARTmail.
For important privacy information, go to http://www.privacychoices.org/