Tri-colour gum

From: Nash Computer Technology (nashcom@btinternet.com)
Date: 09/17/01-01:05:25 PM Z

Hi

I've just watched Livick's movie on gum printing - I bought it a number of
months ago with an order of chemicals from B&S, and have only just watched
it. I've seen some not all that complimentary remarks over the last few
weeks, but it's given me the incentive to try gum printing. Until now I've
only done platinum, and I'm looking for a few pointers.

Ever willing to jump in at the deep end, I'd like to have a bash at
tri-colour printing. Firstly, I'll probably make in-camera separation negs.
What filter values will I need to use, and what pigments are a good starting
point?

I'm also wondering about negative contrast and density. Will a typical
platinum neg be too contrasty? Until now, I've developed in pyro, but I
assume the green stain will influence the colours. I'll probably try a
standard developer, but would like an idea of what contrast range to aim
for.

Also, will I need to make more than three print exposures? I've read
something about developing with yellow pigment for the highlights, then cyan
for midtones, magenta for shadow (I may have got these in the wrong order).

As ever, any help will be much appreciated, and apologies for any dumb
questions. I've never seen a gum print, but I hadn't seen a platinum print
before I made one, so I'm happy to give it a bash.

David Nash