Re: Looking for gum printers who use powder pigments

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 09/19/01-07:16:23 PM Z

On Wed, 19 Sep 2001, Richard Sullivan FRPS wrote:

> How fine a mix of pigment do you need to make a good gum print. I dunno.

Re the Tween 20 ....

Have you -- or anyone -- tried this paint for gum printing? In my
experience addition of a dispersal agent to a first gum coat makes
emulsion disperse so well into paper it doesn't clear. I have at times
added a drop or two of tween 20 right onto the paper and mushed in when
there were spots that the emulsion rolled off of, but that was over an
"undercoat," that is, a first or second or even third layer of gum.

As for the economy -- even working quite large a 15 ml tube of paint,
average cost $10, lasts a very long time, while cost of materials,
equipment, time, etc. to make your own might dilute, so to speak, the
economy -- unless you do as a class or group project & share.

Judy