Re: Gold Toning VDB prints

From: Istvan Bibo (bibo969@hotmail.com)
Date: 09/24/01-05:49:27 AM Z

>From: Judy Seigel
>To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
>Subject: Re: Gold Toning VDB prints
>Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 14:22:41 -0400 (EDT)
>

>On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, Istvan Bibo wrote:
>
> > I think it is not much help to you, but in here, Hungary I bought 50 grams
> > of selenium powder for around 3 (three) dollars from a school-lab supplier 1
> > year ago. I am sure that they do not accept international orders. Why this
> > piece of information might be useful for you is that it proves that selenium
> > does not necessarily have to be expensive.
>

>Verrry interesting -- the first time I heard of selenium at less than the
>heights. I wonder if it's a different purity? In any event, it's good
>news... Maybe it's available somewhere closer.
>
>For those interested in SG toning, the T55 is really fine.
>
>Judy

Hi Judy,

Yes, probably the purity of the selenium  I purchased is not very high (was not specified) nevertheless it produces the caractheristic purplish hue on bromide papers.
The Reanal company of Hungary (www.reanal.hu) sells reagent grade (a. r) selenium for around 25 $/50 grams which, I reckon, is not an exorbitant price, though I do not know the price range you are familiar with. This company accepts international orders, though, as you know, small scale tarnsportation is somewhat expensive.

All the best,

Istvan Bibo