Re: UV Transparent Glass

From: Robert W. Schramm (schrammrus@hotmail.com)
Date: 09/24/01-07:57:34 PM Z

I don't know where to tell you to look for this. Perhaps the Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, but there is data out there which would tell you the coefficients of absorbtion of various wavelengths of light for various substences.

Perhaps more useful is the fact that glass, in general, does not transmit UV very well. Pure quartz, on the other hand transmitts UV light very well but a sheet of pure quatz would be expensive beyond belief. There may be some high quartz content glass available but again, my guess is that it would be expensive also. You might look in to plastic as I believe there are some plastics that transmit UV fairly well. Some, however, are used as UV filters. Sorry I couldn't be more specific.

Bob Schramm

Check out my web page at:
http://www.SchrammStudio.com
also look at: