RE: UV Transparent Glass / $0.02 worth

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 09/24/01-07:55:26 PM Z

At 06:11 PM 09/24/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>The only UV clear "glass" is made from quartz vs silica. The green color is
>Iron in the glass. It is possible to get Iron free glass that in either not
>green or much lighter green as seen from the edge.
>
>As for quartz glass ???? in large sizes

  I am aware of the special "glass" made from fused quartz. This is regular
glass either without so much iron in it or somehow decolorized. There are
optical glasses which are essentially clear but would be exceedingly
expensive if made into a sheet. This is something else and I am not even
sure it has any better near UV transmission. however, the dark green color
of regular window glass, which even looks green when set on a sheet of
paper, must have rather strongeg absorption of UV than a glass without a
visible tint.

----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA