chemical questions

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 09/25/01-07:19:48 PM Z

Here goes: (from the chemically impaired--me--to the chemically gifted on
this list)

     I have these following chemicals that I have questions about; let me
list them, their prices, and then ask.

potassium bromide: (all in 1 lb) $11.25 (1.16 x potassium = sodium bromide)
sodium bromide: $33.95

potassium hydroxide: $13.89
sodium hydroxide: $5.95 (1.4 x sodium = potassium hydroxide)

potassium metabisulfite: $10.95
sodium metabisulfite: $5.25

potassium thiocyanate: $89.95
sodium thiocyanate: $49.95.

Are all sodium and potassium compounds interchangeable? Why the huge price
difference? Do they, in substitutions, truly work the same? And, what
makes catechol so stinky?
     And what, in layman's terms, is the difference between a sulfate and
sulfite and I assume they are not interchangeable? Someone already answered
this a while ago but I lost my notes.
Chris