Re: Agfa Announcement today

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 09/27/01-04:58:08 PM Z

At 05:40 PM 09/27/2001 -0400, you wrote:

>Found this blurb on the web today at www.dpreview.com:
>
>Agfa (Agfa-Gevaert NV) has today announced it plans to lay off 4,000
>employees (20% of its global work force) to concentrate on digital
>imaging. This is kind of interesting after they were quoted back in July
>as saying "No more digital cameras". Agfa-Gevaert Chief Executive Ludo
>Verhoeven said the company, best known for its photographic films, needed
>to invest more in new technologies, such as digital imaging. "We can only
>grow if we are profitable,'' Verhoeven told the VRT television network.
>
>Dan

  There is more to digital imaging than cameras. Agfa has been heavily into
digital prepress stuff for years. I am afraid they are simply going to pull
out of chemical photography altogether. Remember, they are trying to sell
that division off (with not much success).

----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com