Re: UV light build yourself cheap

From: Richard Sullivan FRPS (richsul@earthlink.net)
Date: 09/29/01-12:54:30 PM Z

Steve,

This is a repeat of the message that I sent to the carbon list a while back:

Note that this a basically a one hammer project and I am assuming that if
you've gotten this far with carbon printing then you can work out the
"engineering" details.

Any electrical wholesale house carries the units but Grainger is a good
source and they have warehouses in most big cities. I think you can still
order at the counter without an account.

You will use a standard 1000 watt Luminaire. These are not your everyday
garage security lights. If you have ever been in a Home Depot, look up,
there is about 100 of them up there, they are the standard metal halide
lights used in supermarkets etc. (Just think of the power used, 100 1000
watt units!)

Grainger No: 7v197 $197.00 page 901 in the 2002 cat
Grainger No: 2v754 $87.66 page 812

Essentially what you want is the cheapest standard light unit. The standard
ones are the least expensive. I think they also refer to them as "high-bay"
in the designation. "Low bays work but costs more.

Switch and wire plus some plywood at $25.00 brings the total to @ $310.00.
You may beat this price by finding one used at a wrecking yard or salvage
place or a new one for less locally at your wholesale house.

The number of the bulb recommended for the lamp on page 901 has apparently
been superceded by the one listed as they have not updated the reference on
pg 901.

The lamp is a multi tap. There will be wires coming out, one a green ground
wire and some others marked 110, 240, etc. Use the common, the ground and
the one for the voltage you are using. Wire it up with a plug and switch.
If you're getting lost here, get help, it's basic but don't attempt this if
you do not know basic wiring.

You will need to suspend the unit about 20 inches from the print surface.
The 20 inches is from the light pod in the bulb. You can hang it, build a
box to set it on or whatever, the engineering is up to you.

The light is bright but not dangerous. A pale skinned person could lay
under it all day and not get a suntan. You will want some sideways
shielding for the light as with any very bright light you do not want to
look directly at it.

When you screw in the bulb screw it in firmly. It's a scary looking thing
but it is not under pressure and does need to be in firmly as any arcing in
the socket can cause problems. It will take about 6 minutes to come to full
brightness. If shut down it will take that long to restart. It is best to
let it cool for a few minutes if shut down before restarting. If you turn
it back on nothing will jappen for a few minutes so don't panic, the light
is still good!

These units are only good for a "managed" printing situation. A timer goes
off and the print is manually removed and the light stays on. Most of us
print this way anyway. There is a lot of light coming out and the illusion
is that there is a lot of power being wasted. Yes, some is but those little
heaters we use in the office in the winter under our desks are 1500 watts
so these use less that most space heaters. art is what makes us human so
the energy is being put to a good use.

Ask more questions.

--Dick Sullivan