Re: In-Camera and Digital Negatives, was Re: Kamera Korner

From: Gregory W. Blank (gblank@bellatlantic.net)
Date: 04/01/02-12:36:33 PM Z

I intially signed to the group to satisfy curiousity towards alt processes
(of course) I think large camera discussion is of interest to me. Sandy I
completely agree regarding in camera negatives....which is to
say I not am opposed to experiementing with digital negatives/ I doubt that
I would ever exclusively produce digital negatives/Just as I doubt I would
ever exclusively produce Platinum prints.

Nothing so far for me compares to the experience to seeing -capturing the
scene or subject, then developing a big negative. The first time I did a 4x5
Pyro negative I know I was in love ;-) and 8x10 is all the better. Alot
of times the reward of seeing the negative is the best part. Beautiful
prints can for me remain secondary to a degree. I guess this in part is a
result of the mental translation my mind does at this point,....much as one
seeing the image reversed but mind's eye right side up on the ground glass.
Nothing bothers me more than a careless scratch in a otherwise perfect
negative,,,,nothing more rewarding than a flawless Pryo negative with
delicate transitions from dense to almost clear.

Part of me really is smitten with images I've seen done on these wide format
ultra Large cameras...I have lots of ideas for images in my mind that I
would do.

Whether I acquire one, remains to be seen. But I feel drawn towrds the 11x14
size camera as well.