Re: Spectral density [was: Re: Inkjet transparencies ]

FDanB@aol.com
Date: 04/02/02-02:31:23 PM Z

Good questions Katharine,

When I was developing the Spectral Density method (and I certainly refer
only to the small world of my book on digital negatives, not to the
wider, territorial-marking world in which egos shout "I thought of this
first!"), I wondered about the same thing: what color would best absorb
UV? What I did was scan a piece of Masking Vinyl, the orange stuff
printers put around negs when laying them out to burn printing plates. I
figured that if the printing industry had decided that color was optimum
for blocking UV, that was good enough for me.

Sampling that color in Photoshop resulted in the 0/71/71/0 color and its
newer brother 0/55/55/0.

Not to say there aren't better colors...but that orange works amazingly
well at blocking UV.

Dan

www.danburkholder.com

You said in your message...