RE: Gum without glass

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 04/02/02-02:36:58 PM Z

On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Joachim Oppenheimer wrote:

> I have done the same with Iris prints at a museum exhibition. The openness
> added so much - I agree about the tactile sensation, how the tonality could
> be experienced by the viewer. Yes, there is always the risk of degradation
> by natural forces and human damage, but I had no problem and will do it
> again this summer at another museum - no worry or regrets. We take chances
> in life all the time, but most venues where we show our work are really
> quite risk free. Go for it, it's well worth the extra ahh's of admiration!
> Joachim

I'd make a distinction between SHOWING the work and long-term position on
a wall under real-life conditions. Cooking grease, heating and traffic
soot, general residue in the air in any urban location, probably
elsewhere, accumulate over a period of years, and unless the print/paper
has some kind of sealant can't be washed off. Which is why it's customary
to put works on paper under glass, while works on canvas which can be
washed -- or cleaned -- aren't.

Also, some glass ("Museum glass," et al) while VERY expensive actually
enhances the depth of print, even a gum print. If you set the print a bit
back from the glass, I think the sense of "depth" is not destroyed, rather
remaining nicely apparent.... at least to this eye.

Judy